Data Tracing in GPH

Hans-Wolfgang Loidl hwloidl@cee.hw.ac.uk
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 02:13:41 +0100

--Uq(7L:=.WPIU'bTp

[Forwarded to GpH list]

Hi,

About tracing and visualisation: You can produce per-PE activity
profiles that show what's going on on the different PEs (gr2pe).
Usually they show the load, as the number of threads in the
runnable queue on that PE. At the moment we don't have a more detailed
mechanism of showing the data distribution or the heap fragmentation.
There are indirect ways, such as producing a summary of the number
of GAs produced in the execution, but that info is a  bit cryptic
and more for implementors rather than GPH programmers. For a
summary of available visualisation tools check the Gentle Intro to GPH
 http://www.cee.hw.ac.uk/~dsg/gph/docs/Gentle-GPH/gph-gentle-intro.html

About controling distribution: The idea in GpH is that only partitioning
of the program into threads is explicit, but mapping to PEs and
scheduling of threads on PEs is implicit. Therefore, you don't have
constructs for direct placement. I have toyed with some constructs to
give more control on the data distribution, but none of these are
mature enough to make it into the main release. You can do some
data clustering on the language level, however, and our HLPP
paper discusses how:
  http://www.cee.hw.ac.uk/~dsg/gph/papers/abstracts/hlpp01.html

Alternatively use GdH, which provides an explcit constuct for
placing a computation on a particular machine:
  http://www.cee.hw.ac.uk/~dsg/gdh/

Hope that helps!
--
  HW