Partial application on any argument(s) regardless of argument order (Was: Re: partial application)

Dimitre Novatchev dnovatchev@yahoo.com
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 12:46:13 -0800 (PST)

Koen Claessen koen@cs.chalmers.se wrote:

> Cagdas Ozgenc wondered:
>
>  | Is there a reason why partial application cannot be
>  | applied in arbitrary order? Was it a technical
>  | difficulty in the design of Haskell? Or is it just
>  | following beta reduction rigorously?
>
> Alastair David Reid answered:
>
>  | Haskell doesn't dictate any particular evaluation
>  | order.  If you look at the name of the Haskell report,
>  | it calls Haskell a "non-strict" language not a "lazy"
>  | language.
>
> Somehow I do not think that Cagdas was talking about
> evaluation order at all. I think he referred to the
> following: Suppose I have a function f which is defined to
> have 3 arguments:

Partial application on any subset of arguments regardless of their
order has been implemented in the FXSL functional programming library
and is described here:

http://www.topxml.com/xsl/articles/df/

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev.