typeclasses

Tom Pledger Tom.Pledger@peace.com
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 08:46:25 +1200

Cagdas Ozgenc writes:
 | Greetings.
 |
 | How can I make all types that belong to class A and instance of
 | class B, if the implementations of functions in class B can be
 | realized by only using the functions in class A?
 |
 | Thanks for taking time.

Something like this, you mean?

    class A t where a::t
    class B t where b::t
    instance A t => B t where b = a

That's not allowed in Haskell 98.  Section 4.3.2 of the report says
that the type in the instance declaration must consist of a type
constructor applied to zero or more type variables, but in "instance
... => B t where ..." the type (t) is not of that form.

Here are some ways to get around the restriction:
  - Remove class B, and turn its methods into ordinary functions with
    A in their contexts, or
  - Use an overlapping instances extension.

I asked a similar question a couple of years ago.  Here's the key
response.

    http://www.mail-archive.com/haskell@haskell.org/msg05658.html

Regards,
Tom