representation getting verbose...

Andrew J Bromage ajb@spamcop.net
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 10:09:54 +1000

G'day all.

On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 11:08:57AM -0400, haskell-cafe-admin@haskell.org wrote:

> For an
> interpreter I'm writing, I found myself writing a function
> "constructVarExpr :: String -> Expr" just to make it easier.

As an alternative opinion, I don't think there's anything wrong
with this.  A constructor is just a function, and if you need to
do more work than just construct one constructor, there's no reason
not to use a real function.

In OO design pattern terminology they call this a "factory function",
though in Haskell the term "smart constructor" might also apply if the
function does real work.  Were the wiki working, I would point you to
the relevant page there, but it isn't, so I won't.

Cheers,
Andrew Bromage