Infinite types

camarao at dcc.ufmg.br camarao at dcc.ufmg.br
Sat Dec 6 13:30:13 EST 2003

> Say I have the following function, ... :
>
>     f n () = (n, f (n + 1))
> I have two questions:
>
> 1.  How can I tell from the Haskell 98 Revised Report that this
>     function isn't allowed?  The discussions of typing in the Report
>     generally defer to the ``standard Hindley-Milner analysis.''

In your example, if we assume that "f" has type, say, "a->()->(a,b)", for
some "a","b", then it is used, in its own definition, with type
"a->()->b".

In the Hindley-Damas/Milner type system, there is no "polymorphic
recursion": a variable being defined may not be used polymorphically
inside
its own definition. In other words, for typing its own definition, a
variable is assumed to have a simple (non-quantified) type.

Even in the Milner-Mycroft type system, where we have polymorphic
recursion (a variable may be used polymorphically in its own definition),
this expression could not be typed, because (informally speaking) a
polymorphic type may only be instantiated, and "a->()->b" is not (cannot
be) an instance of "a->()->(a,b)", for any "a","b".

Hope that helps. Cheers,

Carlos