Yet another weakly defined bug report

Simon Marlow simonmar@microsoft.com
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 10:48:28 -0000

> >File reading is not a pure operation: running out
> >of file descriptors is a good counter-example.
>=20
> How does this differ from running out of memory whilst trying=20
> to evaluate something?

You're absolutely right, of course.

I think the point is that by using implicit memory allocation we've
accepted that "running out of memory" is going to be a failure condition
that we cannot reasonably avoid or prepare for.  This is a bad thing -
but we deem the tradeoff to be worth it, because on the other hand we
don't suffer from memory allocation bugs of the same kind that you get
in C programs.

I/O is similar in some ways: lazy I/O might lead to file descriptor
leaks, which are similar to memory leaks but aren't something that
Haskell programmers "expect" to have to worry about.  To fix these
problems you have to think carefully about strictness and demand in your
program.  For memory we have heap profilers to help out, but we don't
have I/O descriptor profilers for lazy I/O!

Also, by using lazy I/O one elects to ignore I/O errors - which I think
is not something we should be encouraging.

Cheers,
	Simon