Web Application Development

Christopher Milton cmiltonperl@yahoo.com
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 21:42:19 -0800 (PST)

--- Dominic Steinitz <dominic.steinitz@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
[snip]
> The original code was in PHP and MySQL so rather than re-invent the wheel I
[snip]
> So my question is: what should I do to re-write this in Haskell?

I haven't tried it out, but I found this project on SourceForge:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/functional-php/

on to the Haskell stuff...

> From the discussion on this mailing list in June and reading through the
> libraries section of haskell.org, I think there are the following options:
>
> HTML
>
> 1. Use Wash/CGI but maybe somehow move to mod_haskell if the webserver
> performance isn't adquate.

HaXml could also be quite useful for generating HTML or XML:
http://www.cs.york.ac.uk/fp/HaXml/

> SQL
>
> 2. Use MySQL-HS which requires HaskellDirect or use HSQL.
>
> I'd be very grateful for any advice and any progress as a result of the
> discussion in June.

Ashley Yakeley has an interface to MySQL:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/hbase/Source/Foreign/

and I was thinking of extending the DBI model as found in Perl and
the libpq binding as listed on Haskell.org:
http://www.astercity.net/~khaliff/haskell/dbi/dbi.tgz

Searching Freshmeat and SourceForge for Haskell turns up a few things.

Actually, there's quite a bit of alpha and beta Haskell code out on the
net, but we don't seem to get very far with much of it...

=====
Christopher Milton
cmiltonperl@yahoo.com