Arrays and arrays

Ketil Z. Malde ketil@ii.uib.no
23 Jan 2003 13:12:21 +0100

"Simon Marlow" <simonmar@microsoft.com> writes:

>> OTOH, doing lots of small (//) seems to be faster than doing a few
>> large ones (containing the same updates).  Go figure.

> That's bizarre.  Perhaps the results are obscured by some other
> optimisations which are happening.

It is probably an operator error.  I.e., me making a mistake; I had to
rewrite the program a bit in order to make the change.  Still,
profiling shows that it's the array updates that take almost all the
time.  I'll try to sort out the benchmarks a bit next week, and if I
still observe that behaviour, I'll try to distill a clean example for you.

-kzm