A question about dynamic typing

Nick Name nick.name@inwind.it
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 22:56:18 +0100

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 15:38:31 -0600
Jon Cast <jcast@ou.edu> wrote:

>=20
>  > Another idea: if I allow the list of objects in the panel to be
>  > infinite,
>=20
>  Sorry, but I'm having difficulty figuring out where you'd get an
>  infinite list of objects to put in the panel.  I suspect any solution
>  is going to depend on how the list of objects is put together.

It could be any lazy list, potentially infinite (and I would not like to
evaluate it).=20

An example is a "find" function, wich returns a lazy list with the use
of unsafeInterleaveIO.

It would be useful to see the actual first N files as objects into the
"panel" or desktop area, or list, anything visual, and then be able to
obtain, for example, the filtered list of all the "sound files", which
would still be a lazy list.

Should the user scroll the panel down with some arrow-like control, the
list would get evaluated and the find function would run under control
of the user interface.

I am just thinking about what a "lazy functional desktop environment"
could mean, trying to figure out some use case.

Vincenzo

--=20
Fedeli alla linea, anche quando non c'=E8 Quando l'imperatore =E8
malato, quando muore,o =E8 dubbioso, o =E8 perplesso.  Fedeli alla linea
la linea non c'=E8.  [CCCP]