Type design question

Andrew J Bromage ajb@spamcop.net
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 15:23:30 +1000

G'day all.

On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 10:36:46PM -0400, Dylan Thurston wrote:

> However, I would be sure to distinguish between an inner product space
> and a vector space.

That's true.  If you're after a completely generic solution, this might
be an issue.

> An inner product space has the 'innerProduct' operation you
> mention; as you say, there is very frequently more than one interesting
> inner product.

I might also add that normalisation doesn't necessarily make sense on
every inner product space.  In my situation, for example, the scalar
field is Rational, so it wasn't closed under square root.

Cheers,
Andrew Bromage