Type design question

Mark Carroll mark@chaos.x-philes.com
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 09:54:11 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Konrad Hinsen wrote:

> What is the general attitude in the Haskell community towards
> compiler-specific extensions? My past experience with Fortran and C/C++ tells
> me to stay away from them. Portability is an important criterion for me.

It depends which ones. Some are implemented in multiple compilers in a
consistent way and widely liked and used, and are rather likely to make it
into the next standard version of Haskell in much their current form. (For
instance, portability is an important criterion for us, too, but we still
use multi-parameter typeclasses.) Others are still sufficiently
experimental that ideas really are just being played with. It would be
interesting to see a list of what people think will make it into Haskell 2
though.

-- Mark