ANNOUNCE: Release of Vital, an interactive visual programming environment for Haskell

Graham Klyne GK at ninebynine.org
Thu Nov 13 10:03:18 EST 2003

[Switching to haskell-cafe]

For "serious programming", I entirely agree.

But my view is that we are seeing some degree of programmability entering
all sorts of everyday objects -- video recorders spring to mind as an early
example -- and there's lots of work going on in the field of "ubiquitous
computing".  Many of these pervasive devices may be fire-and-forget, but I
suspect many will not be.  Graphical displays may be more common than full
keyboards.  So how is the user to be presented with options to enter
programming information?  I don't have any final answers here, but I do
have an intuition that for many users, where the "programming" requirement
is a simple but flexible composition of existing functions, that a
graphical, self-documenting interface may be an appropriate response to the
"video recorder programming hell" syndrome.

Some of my thoughts about this came from considering issues faced by a
friend of mine who has recently wired his new home for "total data"
(several kilometres of Cat5A cable in the loft!) -- it's all very well
having all these intelligent devices around the home, but how to actually
tell them what to do?  Opening a door may signal that a light should turned
on, or an alarm should be set off -- how to describe the
distinction?  (Assuming the owner is not an experienced programmer.)

Finally, as evidence for this view of user interfaces, I note that for
tasks like computer system administration, graphical interfaces have pretty
much taken over from the old command-line-and-text-file approach.  Even
Linux systems have graphical front-ends for most of the common
configuration, even though, for an experienced sysadmin, the text-based
versions are generally quicker to set up and understand what's
happenning.  In short, it's the occasional user, not the full-time expert,
who may be better served by a non-textual approach.

#g