Functional Code Generation

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Thu Nov 20 00:38:02 EST 2003

> I think I remeber seeing a paper about techniques for writing code
> generators in Haskell targeting stack based bytecodes that encoded
> bytecode sequences in a way that the typechecker could give you some
> sanity guarantees, ..

you don't ask a question, but I assume you'd like us to share
any (partial) matches?-) perhaps the following two will get you
started on references (although the encodings might be less useful
for writing codegenerators than for analysing code sequences):

A compositional account of the Java Virtual Machine.
In Proceedings of 26th ACM SIGPLAN-SIGACT
Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages, 1999.
http://research.sun.com/people/yelland/
The Functions of Java Bytecode
Mark P. Jones. In Proceedings of the OOPSLA '98 workshop
on Formal Underpinnings of Java, Vancouver, BC, Canada, October 1998.
http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~mpj/pubs/funJava.html