Newbie qustion about monads

Alastair Reid alastair at reid-consulting-uk.ltd.uk
Thu Oct 2 17:09:11 EDT 2003

Incidentally, it is quite common to define a Monad instance but no Eq
instance.  (e.g., the IO monad, most parser monads, most state transformer
monads, etc.)

So you should not interpret the '==' in the monad law as requiring you to
define an Eq instance.

If you do define an Eq instance, it ought to be reflexive, symmetric and
transitive (i.e., an equivalence) if you want functions with Eq constraints
to behave in a meaningful way.

Also, although there's probably no necessity for your Eq instance to match
your notion of equality between computations (i.e., the == used in the monad
laws), I think you'll end up very confused if you define an Eq instance which
doesn't match in the same way that having Eq on pairs ignore the 2nd field
would confuse you.

--
Alastair Reid    www.haskell-consulting.com