Database interface - would like advice on oracle library bind ing

Bayley, Alistair Alistair_Bayley at ldn.invesco.com
Mon Sep 29 15:18:20 EDT 2003

Yes, I know of it.

Krasimir's code uses similar functions and types in the three bindings
(MySQL, ODBC, PostgreSql), but the bindings do not share a common interface
(AFAICT). Because they are so similar, making them support a common
interface shouldn't be a lot of work.

I was hoping the earlier discussions on database interfaces would converge
to a solution most interested parties agreed on. I'm still sold on the
left-fold interface discussed previously. Oleg claims it is sufficient, as
it can be automatically converted to a stream-like interface. I bit of me
agrees with you that I should be consistent with previous work, and another
bit says make it simple and elegant, and this leads me towards Oleg's
proposals (left-fold + auto-generated value extraction functions +
auto-generated stream functions).

Do others on this list (and elsewhere) have any further opinions as to how a
database interface ought to look?

The information in this email and in any attachments is
confidential and intended solely for the attention and use
of the named addressee(s). This information may be
subject to legal professional or other privilege or may
otherwise be protected by work product immunity or other
legal rules.  It must not be disclosed to any person without
our authority.

If you are not the intended recipient, or a person
responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you
are not authorised to and must not disclose, copy,
distribute, or retain this message or any part of it.