[Haskell-cafe] exceptions vs. Either

Graham Klyne GK at ninebynine.org
Tue Aug 3 05:19:22 EDT 2004

Two observations:

1. When I recently modified the HaXml XML parser, this is one of the
significant changes I made:  providing (alterantive) return values based on
Either, so that input errors could be handled by the invoking function,
without forcing it into the IO monad.  I guess that's a vote of agreement.

2. I like to distinguish between "expected errors" and "unexpected
errors".  Having been burned in the past by using exceptions (not FP), I
try to use them only for conditions that are truly unexpected; i.e.
_exceptional_.  Bad input, IMO, is something that is not unexpected, so I
don't really like to handle that via exceptions.

#g