[Haskell-cafe] Re: ACIO versus Execution Contexts

Adrian Hey ahey at iee.org
Wed Dec 1 08:13:39 EST 2004

On Wednesday 01 Dec 2004 12:07 pm, Lennart Augustsson wrote:
> Adrian Hey wrote:
> It's not a language issue.  It's a design issue.  And in the case
> of device drivers you do want to pass the buck up to the layer
> that handles device drivers.  Having each driver keep it's own
> global state is just broken.
> But you don't seem to believe this, so I'll let you discover
> it yourself. :)

For heavens sake, you're as bad as Keean. I was only saying that
should be done for *unique resources*, and in the example I gave
the device driver was a unique resource, as is often the case.

But if that is not the case, and you have several of these devices
then they collectively become a unique resource. Please stop
assuming I am an idiot and address the issues.

> I agree with you that at some level there has to be a unique
> resource (for that computer), but it's not something I'd keep
> in a global variable.

How would you implement this "global variable". In C?

Regards
--
Adrian Hey