[Haskell-cafe] maybe IO doesn't suck, but my code does...

Jeremy Shaw jeremy.shaw at linspireinc.com
Sat Dec 4 16:27:46 EST 2004

At Sat, 4 Dec 2004 22:18:38 +0100,
Frédéric Gobry wrote:

> > Since Haskell is lazy it won't evaluate the (+) so in it keeps all copies
> > of the Stat until the very end when you actually print it. The ! annotation
> > in the record definition doesn't allow Haskell to store closures in the
> > members, so it is forced to evaluate it.
>
> Wouldn't it be conceivable to reduce some expressions when the runtime
> system notices it starts to grow too much (some sort of expression garbage
> collection), or would this alter the semantic of the code too deeply ?

This paper may have some answers, though I don't if it addresses that
specific question:

Optimistic Evaluation: An adaptive evaluation strategy for non-strict programs

available at (among other places):

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rje33/icfp2003.pdf

Jeremy Shaw.
--

This message contains information which may be confidential and privileged. Unless you are the
addressee (or authorized to receive for the addressee), you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone