[Haskell-cafe] Re: Non-technical Haskell question

Ben Rudiak-Gould Benjamin.Rudiak-Gould at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Dec 6 15:51:37 EST 2004

Philippa Cowderoy wrote:

 >The strip utility helps somewhat, I just dropped a wxHaskell app from a 10
 >meg .exe to about 3.6 megs under windows.

You can also compress the stripped executable with UPX. GHC-generated
executables seem to compress very well (about 4:1 in my experience), and
even a very large executable, like GHC itself, decompresses so quickly
that I can hardly tell the difference in startup time. Caveat: this
actually increases virtual memory requirements, since the executable
image in memory can't be backed by the executable file on disk.

-- Ben