[Haskell-cafe] Non-technical Haskell question

Graham Klyne GK at ninebynine.org
Tue Dec 7 05:09:27 EST 2004

I find myself agreeing with the implied likely response to all of the
points you raise below.

I'd say that any attempt to proselytize Haskell (or any new technology)
needs to start from a clear view of one kind of application that it is
particularly good for.  Then, focus on building a "bridgehead" for that
narrow application area.

For example, I've been using Haskell to experiment with reasoning tasks on
Semantic Web data -- it's an application for which Haskell seems to be
eminently well-suited, for the following reasons, among others:

* functional expression (as opposed to imperative) means that the reasoning
programs are more closely related to the reasoning tasks being performed.

* its type system ensures that necessary formalities of mapping concepts to
representations are fully expressed.

* lazy evaluation makes search-and-backtrack patterns very easy to program.

* Higher order functions facilitate separation of concerns.

In short, for this kind of application, I find that I spend most of my time
thinking about the problem space, relatively little time programming
supporting "scaffolding", and very little time debugging (once I've got the
types to match up).

This is my story.  I don't know if there's anything here you can use.

#g