[Haskell-cafe] Re: Non-technical Haskell question

Henning Thielemann iakd0 at clusterf.urz.uni-halle.de
Tue Dec 7 14:22:43 EST 2004

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Paul Hudak wrote:

> But you may be right that it is too late... Haskell is getting old!
> Sometimes I think that for a language to "succeed" it must do so in its
> infancy.

This is also my impression.

> Perhaps the thing to do is create a new language with a new name, but
> base it entirely on Haskell's semantics, then equip it with just one
> really good library to solve well just one important niche problem, and
> see what happens.

It seems important to me that this library has very simple functionality
but which is needed every day. Word processors, spreadsheets, web
browsers, cd players, games and so on are much more popular than
mathematical software. :-]

On the other hand Niklaus Wirth had not the success of Pascal with later
languages, like Modula and Oberon. So he decided to return to the name
ComponentPascal for the newest developments ...