[Haskell-cafe] Non-technical Haskell question

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Tue Dec 7 15:13:13 EST 2004

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 11:30:11AM +0100, Henning Thielemann wrote:
> What's unfortunate here is probably that the files are lying around in the
> same directory as the sources. E.g. the build system of Modula-3 uses a
> directory structure like this:
>
> Project
>    LINUXLIBC6  - object files and other generated files for Linux
>    SOLgnu      - object files and other generated files for Solaris
>    src         - sources, Makefiles and other data
>
> This way not only generated files are out of scope in every day
> programming but it is also absolutely no pain to develop for several
> platforms simultaneously. The disadvantage is clearly that a programmer
> has to conform to this structure, but this could also be considered as
> advantage. But one could consider it as an disadvantage that is more
> complicated to work with many but small programs.

This is exactly what autoconf/automake gives you, it works for haskell (almost)
just as well as it does for C code. In any case, this seems like the
domain of a separate tool like hmake, ghc is just one of several haskell
compilers, there is nothing about the language itself that requires the
specific file droppings ghc leaves. (not that I mind them)
        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈