[Haskell-cafe] More on dynlinking

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Wed Dec 8 07:50:51 EST 2004

Your suggestion amounts to giving the programmer more control over the
ABI compared to the current extreme options:

 (a) -O0,    ABI == API
 (b) -O[12], ABI == entire implementation + ABI of dependencies

in addition, the ABI includes the version of GHC that compiled the code.

Providing an option somewhere between (a) and (b) seems reaonsable.
Making the details work out is pretty tricky: for example, you can't
inline the definition of an unexposed function into an exposed function.
Indeed, the inlining of an exposed function can't depend even on the
type of a hidden function.

Cheers,
	Simon