[Haskell-cafe] Flattening tail recursion?

Georg Martius mai99dgf at studserv.uni-leipzig.de
Fri Dec 10 14:32:07 EST 2004

Hi Will,

you probably get confused with stack overflow through non-tail recursive function and stack overflow because you accumulate all intermediate values in the closure. It was allready posted before, that you need to enforce the evaluation of the + in order to get the function run in constant space. The thing is, that it is harder to achieve than I expected it to be.

countLines' ls = foldl (\x y -> let x' = x + 1 in x' `seq` y `seq` x' ) 0 ls

will run in constant space, but just if compiled with -O (ghc-6.2.1). The seq function forces the evaluation of its first argument (at least to Head Normal Form). The second one is just passed through. To be honest I don't understand why I need the optimisation option and why I do need to force the evaluation of y ?!. I find this really hard to figure out and I think the strictness analyser could be a bit more eager :-).

	Georg

---- Georg Martius,  Tel: (+49 34297) 89434 ----
------- http://www.flexman.homeip.net ---------