[Haskell-cafe] FFI woes!

Keean Schupke k.schupke at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Dec 16 07:35:55 EST 2004

Okay, you want to poll to see if the sound is still playing... This is
not very
easy to do...

You really want to use the low-buffer callback from the soundcard
driver to load the next sample into the buffer using DMA. (IE you
can pass a function to the driver to call when you sample has been
copied completely to the sound-cards memory). This is the way to
do it...

    play_then_free = do
        set_callback (free_sample my_sample)
        play_sample my_sample

You can see that this provides the interface you want to the user (IE
samples are freed once they are finished with)...

    Keean.