[Haskell-cafe] Seeking comments on this IO proposal

Jeremy Shaw jeremy.shaw at linspireinc.com
Fri Dec 17 17:49:46 EST 2004

At Fri, 17 Dec 2004 10:48:34 -0600,
John Goerzen wrote:

> First, if someone were to make a working, useful package out of this, is
> it likely that it would become the "standard" (whatever that means) IO
> system in Haskell anytime in the near future?  I ask because I don't
> want to put a lot of time into developing an IO library, and code that
> works with it, only to have nobody use my code because it's incompatible
> with everything they're doing.

I am quite ignorant about the different proposals coming along these
days, but I would hope that anything that hopes to be the next
generation of IO would address:

(1) binary IO (especially dealing with bit-fields -- like what you
    would see in network packets, or binary data formats like .swf or
    stuff).

(2) Internationalization / Unicode

I am not saying that it must *solve* these problems -- just that it
needs to have a plan for how to add these later.

Thanks!
Jeremy, the ignorant, Shaw.

--

This message contains information which may be confidential and privileged. Unless you are the
addressee (or authorized to receive for the addressee), you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone