[Haskell-cafe] Re: Utility functions

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Thu Dec 30 12:09:48 EST 2004

On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 04:38:01AM +0000, Mark Carroll wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004, John Goerzen wrote:
> (snip)
> > I accept patches for things like this for MissingH.  You can send me
> > code or diffs as you prefer.  I've been accepting code licensed under
> > GPL, LGPL, or BSD, and will need a statement such as:
> (snip)
>
> Can you mix in BSD code with GPL, though, without making it also GPL?

Yes.
In fact, if you wrote the code, you can put it under as many licenses as
you want.

It is quite possible to contribute BSD (or MIT or X) licenced code to
GPLed products, if someone wanted they could extract the BSD parts and
not be bound by the GPL. (however unless a contribution is substantial
it is easier to just put it under the same licence or dual licence it to
avoid excess legal boilerplate)

The GPL can never cause any other code to become GPL, the absolute worst
it can do is restrict you from distributing the GPLed code itself. You
may choose to GPL (or BSD, or any other GPL compatable license) your
code if you think using the GPLed code is worth it, but the issue is
never forced.

        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈