[Haskell-cafe] Haskell newbie

Mark Carroll mark at chaos.x-philes.com
Sun Feb 8 09:47:48 EST 2004

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, Justin Walsh wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a very thin Linux/Haskell setup for DHCP cable?

I'm not sure what the relevance of the "DHCP cable" is; I can't think of
an interpretation of it that would cause me to worry much about bandwidth
usage at all. Debian makes it easy to install a rather lightweight system,
and I find the GHC backports to stable at
http://www.syntaxpolice.org/haskell-experimental/haskell-experimental.html
very handy indeed. However, I know sufficiently little of your constraints
or of other distributions that I can say that this is one of your best
options and, frankly, if you're also a Linux newbie, much as I like it, I
wouldn't start with Debian as your first distribution without some
competent local help.

If the problem really is a bandwidth one I'm sure someone here would be
happy to burn and mail you CDs of whatever free downloadable bits you need
to get going with Haskell and Linux for a very trivial sum. (-:

-- Mark