[Haskell-cafe] migrating from python

Graham Klyne GK at ninebynine.org
Tue Jul 13 16:24:56 EDT 2004

At 16:34 13/07/04 +0200, paolo veronelli wrote:

>I'm working on semantics and triples (RDF & co)

I've been working on something very similar, in Haskell.  I also did some
work in Python before moving to Haskell.  My project is Swish [1].  (I've
also just completed coding/testing of an RDF/XML parser, which I've yet to
integrate into Swish.)

It is my experience that at the heart of almost any inference process I
have tried is a query of the RDF graph.  (I've played with conventional
rules and some class-based inference approaches, and a key operation seems
to be query.)  I don't know how different you expect the "Haskell way" to
be -- it's maybe less so than one might expect.

My own experience is that Haskell works more like a specification language
than conventional programming approaches, and that it's relatively easy to
maintain a close correspondence between executable code and a logical
description of the domain information.  But actually directing (planning)
an inference process remains a tricky problem.

Python's dictionaries are neat, and very easy to use.  With Haskell you
have to choose a mechanism, but there are many there, waiting to be
used.  So far, all my work has used a very primitive linear search
(horribly inefficient, I know, but efficiency hasn't been my primary
concern, and it's easy enough to swap out one mechanism for another.

I'm not sure what kind of information you're after, so there's not much
more I can say at this stage.  But have fun with the functional way!  It's
taken me a while to get a feel for it;  sometimes, things just seem to be
unreasonably easy, and at other times it seems little different to any
other language.

#g
--

[1] http://www.ninebynine.org/RDFNotes/Swish/Intro.html