[Haskell-cafe] Ord (IORef a)?

Fergus Henderson fjh007 at galois.com
Tue Jun 22 06:01:04 EDT 2004

On 22-Jun-2004, Simon Peyton-Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com> wrote:
> My own view is that this is fine -- IORefs shouldn't be in your inner
> loop, so an extra word in each is no big deal.

I find that attitude rather extraordinary and I do not agree.

For some applications, IORefs may well be a major contributor to
memory usage, and increasing the amount of space that they take up may
significantly decrease locality and hence performance.

--
Fergus J. Henderson                 |  "I have always known that the pursuit
Galois Connections, Inc.            |  of excellence is a lethal habit"