[Haskell-cafe] readEitherChan

S. Alexander Jacobson haskell at alexjacobson.com
Thu Jun 24 16:24:09 EDT 2004

Cool! Why does it have an efficiency problem?

And I would also observe that this solution
doesn't work for readEitherChan because there is
no tryReadChan.  The naive tryReadChan

    tryReadChan chan = if isEmptyChan chan then return Nothing else return $ readChan chan

leaves you vulnerable to race conditions.

It looks like we have now have two very similar
functions that, because they need the concrete
representation, need to be added in the library:
tryReadChan and tryReadSampleVar.

Is there a systemic reason why these two very
similar functions are absent?  There is no point
in my trying to add them if there is some *in
principle* difficulty.  The concurrent paper seems
to indicate that there is something fundamentally
suspect about a choice operator as a primitive.
Is that issue related?

Also, you wouldn't need these functions if
Haskell's concurency model was defined to be
non-preemptive.  How come forkIO was not
specifically defined to be non-preemptive (with
forkOS dependent on the local OS native threading
model)?  Or alternatively, how come we have forkIO
and forkOS as opposed to forkCooperative and
forkPreemptive?

-Alex-

S. Alexander Jacobson                  mailto:me at alexjacobson.com
tel:917-770-6565                       http://alexjacobson.com