[Haskell-cafe] HToolkit HSQL on Windows/GHC

Clive Brettingham-Moore c at brettingham-moore.net
Mon Mar 29 10:44:05 EST 2004

> Doesn't MySql listen on a port? Is that protocol documented? I've used
> postgresql that way from Haskell.

Yes It's usually operated through a TCP/IP (port 3306), and I'd
contemplated this, but I was hoping for something standard and off the
shelf.

> Another thought, which I hesitate to even mention, would be to call the
> commandline tool via System.Cmd, pipe the results to a file, and read
> the file, and parse the results. Slow and ugly, but you could have it
> working in an hour.

Hadn't even thought of that, must be my clean upbringing.

Somone on the haskell list pointed out that ODBC works so I can just use
that. It's a bit less tidy since I'll have to define ODBC data sources
instead of connecting direct, but I'll live (atleast until I [or better,
somone else] get around to fixing the library problem)