[Haskell-cafe] GHC and libc

Sven Panne Sven.Panne at aedion.de
Sat May 15 18:28:41 EDT 2004

Per Larsson wrote:
> [...] Is there a GHC switch that I have missed that enables you to statically link
> the parts of libc that is used by the haskell program? [...]

Passing "-static" to the GNU linker results in a, well, statically linked program. :-)
Using "-optl -static" with GHC does what you want, see:

    http://haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/users_guide/options-phases.html#FORCING-OPTIONS-THROUGH

And here the proof:

    panne at jeanluc:> ghc --make -optl -static Main.hs
    Chasing modules from: Main.hs
    Compiling Main             ( Main.hs, Main.o )
    Linking ...
    panne at jeanluc:> file a.out
    a.out: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.2.5, statically linked, not stripped
    panne at jeanluc:> ldd a.out
	not a dynamic executable

For non-GNU linkers consult the man pages for "ld", differing linking techniques
are one of the most annoying incompatibilities between different *nices IMHO.

Cheers,
    S.