[Haskell-cafe] One-shot? (was: Global variables and stuff)

Graham Klyne gk at ninebynine.org
Tue Nov 9 06:53:44 EST 2004

I've not been following the Global variables debate too closely, it seeming
to have something of a religious wars flavour, but I noticed that an
example being proposed was how to achieve a "one shot" execution.  Here's
something I did when working on modifications to the HaXML parser:

[[
--  Memoization of withSocketsDo to prevent multiple calls.
--  (cf. http://tangentsoft.net/wskfaq/articles/lame-list.html)
socketsInitialized :: Bool
socketsInitialized = unsafePerformIO ( withSocketsDo ( return True ) )
]]

Does it work as I think it does?  ARe there any problems I'm overlooking?

#g