[Haskell-cafe] Space efficiency problem

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Nov 10 11:35:47 EST 2004

Keith Wansbrough wrote:

> > The problem is that there are
> > so many iterations, that the program gets killed (kill -9) by the
> > system.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean here - I've never encountered a system that
> kills processes with -9, other than at shutdown time.  Are you sure
> it's -9?

If a process exhausts its resource limits (as set with setrlimit()),
the kernel will typically kill it with SIGKILL. Also, if the available
system-wide memory gets too low, the kernel may start killing of
processes, again with SIGKILL.

When this occurs, the shell from which the process was spawned will
typically write "Killed" to the terminal.