[Haskell-cafe] Currying confusion

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Fri Nov 12 14:14:45 EST 2004

I'm trying to do something -- I think it's called uncurrying.  I've
boiled up a little test case to show what I mean:

test1 :: Int -> String
test1 = show

test2 :: Int -> Int -> String
test2 x y = (show x) ++ (show y)

OK, that works OK.  Now let's say I want to provide a function that
generates the string to use in place of (show y) -- perhaps, test1.

I like the partial application feature (and used it in test1).  So, I
thought I could use that to my advantage in test3 and test4:

test3 :: Int -> Int -> String
test3 x f = (show x) ++ f

test4 :: Int -> (Int -> String)
test4 x f = (show x) ++ f

Of course, I could say test3 x f y = (show x) ++ (f y)
but for various reasons that's not the most useful in my program.

Thoughts?