[Haskell-cafe] IO and State

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak at knm.org.pl
Wed Nov 17 15:26:40 EST 2004

"Iavor S. Diatchki" <diatchki at cse.ogi.edu> writes:

> I find the argument a bit disturbing, as it seems to imply that it
> is OK for the compiler to produce code without any context switches
> at all

Note that in this case if the main program doesn't explicitly block
on MVars, I/O nor timeout, then finalizers will never be run and would
be kept in memory despite garbage collection. So such implementation
would not be able to run certain programs which create lots of
finalized objects, even if almost all of them become dead soon after
creation.

--
   __("<         Marcin Kowalczyk
   \__/       qrczak at knm.org.pl