[Haskell-cafe] Haskore Wiki

Lemming schlepptop at henning-thielemann.de
Sun Nov 28 17:26:13 EST 2004

Shae Matijs Erisson wrote:

> I've used Haskore before, but I wasn't able to figure out how to make infinte
> compositions. I'd like to try turning a lorenz fractal into music, could you
> point me to an example of such an infinite song?

Here is some non-periodic song based on a sequence of natural numbers:
   http://cvs.haskell.org/darcs/haskore/src/Example/Flip.hs

A Markov chain can also be used to produce infinite songs:
   http://cvs.haskell.org/darcs/haskore/src/Example/Kantate147.hs

 > Can you actually play such a thing from Haskore?

Yes, but with restrictions.

You can render the music into an audio stream which you pipe through
some external player like Sox' 'play' command. I successfully did this:
   http://cvs.haskell.org/darcs/synthesizer
      (Presentation.playMusicSignal)
but the rendering of signals does not allow much polyphony or
complicated sounds.

MIDI files unfortunately have a length specification in the header, thus
they can't be infinite, unless there is a trick to define open-end
tracks. Nevertheless, the MIDI functions can now handle infinite music
properly. MidiFile is also based on relative times which is essential
for long music.

Someone told me that CSound is also able to receive song information
through a pipe, but I couldn't get this running so far. :-(