[Haskell-cafe] Non-blocking for reactive programs (was: Objects in Haskell)

Graham Klyne GK at ninebynine.org
Mon Nov 29 04:39:16 EST 2004

At 00:39 29/11/04 +0100, Benjamin Franksen wrote:
>One problem remains: to preserve reactivity, the programmer must make sure
>that methods don't execute IO actions that may block indefinitely.
>Unfortunately there is no way in Haskell to enforce this, because
>(indefinitely) blocking IO actions have the same type as non-blocking ones.
>Too late to change that, I guess...

I was somewhat intrigued by this comment.  Maybe I'm missing the point or
simply too detached from the thrust of this thread to make any sense here,
but wondered if anything really needs to be changed to be able to express
this idea of non-blocking IO.

Suppose we define a new type, say NBIO, which, like IO, allows any
interaction with the external world, but with the proviso that it never
blocks (I shalln't attempt to try and define exactly what this means, but
hope that the intent is clear).  A key function associated with this type
would have type:
     forall a. NBIO a -> IO a

Thus any non-blocking I/O activity can be implemented in NBIO, and its
IO-equivalent is always available.  But not the converse, of course.

I think I now see the problem:  while functions can be implemented in NBIO,
and thereby convey an intended guarantee to the caller, there's no way I
can see for the Haskell type system to stop a programmer to write a
function of this type that actually uses (but does not return a value from)
an IO value.  Without this, how can facilities like Debug.Trace be provided?

But then again, if no value from an IO is ever actually used or referenced
outside the IO code, doesn't lazy evaluation mean that there's never any
need to evaluate the value within IO?

Now getting hopelessly out of my depth, but interested in any comments you
may have...

#g