[Haskell-cafe] Re: ACIO versus Execution Contexts

Keean Schupke k.schupke at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Nov 30 11:16:57 EST 2004

Adrian Hey wrote:

> The issue is *modularity*. Without top level TWIs there are certain
>
>safety guarantees that I cannot make from within my module. Instead
>I have to "beg" for safe use from outside my module. Begging a
>hypothetical "operating system" doesn't really help much.

And I am arguing that the library is not the appropriate enitity to enforce
this uniqueness, and that should I have multiple of these 'unique' resources
available, I should be able to initialise the library in two contexts at
once. It
seems a bad assumtion to assume that _all_ systems will only have one of
these
whatevers.

    Keean.