[Haskell-cafe] Re: What Functions are Standard?

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Wed Oct 6 11:02:56 EDT 2004

John Goerzen <jgoerzen at complete.org> writes:

> On 2004-10-06, Glynn Clements <glynn.clements at virgin.net> wrote:
> > I can't comment on nhc98, but the Haskell98 standard doesn't include
> > any mechanism for binary I/O.
>
> Ouch.  That seems like a major oversight to me.  Will there be any
> effort to fix that in the future?

Note that, on Unix-like systems, there is no difference between
text I/O and binary I/O on files.  It is only Windows that requires
a separation of the modes.

As to fixing the Haskell standard - well, the base hierarchical
libraries are a de facto "corrected" set of libraries.  It is just
that not all compilers have yet caught up with them.

Regards,
    Malcolm