[Haskell-cafe] Integrating Haskell into a J2EE environment

Doug Kirk doug at dougandalli.com
Wed Oct 6 16:30:47 EDT 2004

Yes, I agree, and didn't mean to write off Haskell (at which, I'm
completely a newbie, trying to learn, and thankful for your book!).

However, I'm a Java pro, and there are many technical issues on the
Java side that scream at me to keep out of the native arena, especially
in a J2EE container environment, where funny things can happen with hot
reloads (dumping old ClassLoaders for new ones), clustering, and the
like.

So it wasn't out of denigration of Haskell that I made my
recommendation; far from it...from what I've seen Haskell is perfect
for implementing DSL's. Rather, from the Java side is where it becomes
problematic. There have been many problems integrating with native
libraries from within a J2EE container, and I try to seek the most
cost-effective way (I'm an independent consultant) to get the problem
solved for my customers.

--doug