[Haskell-cafe] OO idioms redux

Ben.Yu at combined.com Ben.Yu at combined.com
Wed Oct 13 10:44:07 EDT 2004

The only problem with this is "name".

It is too easy to have naming clash in haskell. Field selectors are also
top-level functions and they shared the same namespace with other
functions.
for any reasonable scale program, we'll end up with ModuleA.read x,
ModuleB.read b. (Yes, we can alias the modules as A and B, but then we'll
have to face the module alias naming clash again)

In java/c++, we can name a method in the most meaningful and natural way we
like, rest-assured it won't have a problem just because some other
class/interface happens to use the same name for a different thing.

Plus, module, in my opinion is a logical functionality group, a quite
coarse-grained facility. not an appropriate tool to disambiguate names in a
fine-grained way.

I like the <<Lightweight Extensible Records for Haskell >> paper by Mark
Jones and Simon P. Jones. Very clean IMHO.
Not sure why it did not get implemented.

                      Duncan Coutts
                      <duncan.coutts at worcester.ox        To:       John Goerzen <jgoerzen at complete.org>
                      ford.ac.uk>                        cc:       haskell-cafe at haskell.org
                      Sent by:                           Subject:  Re: [Haskell-cafe] OO idioms redux
                      haskell-cafe-bounces at haskel
                      l.org

                      10/13/2004 08:15 AM

In message <slrncmo8qa.a82.jgoerzen at christoph.complete.org> John Goerzen
<jgoerzen at complete.org> writes:
> OK, recently I posed a question about rethinking some OO idioms, and
> that spawned some useful discussion.
>
> I now have a followup question.
>
> One of the best features of OO programming is that of inheritance.  It
> can be used to slightly alter the behavior of objects without requiring
> modification to existing code or breaking compatibility with existing
> APIs.

Closures can do this:

// in C++/Java
class ConfigParser {
  void read (String);
  int getFoo (String);
}

-- in Haskell
data ConfigParser = ConfigParser {
    read :: String -> IO ConfigParser
    getFoo :: String -> Int
  }

This is a structure of functions. The difference from C++/Java style
objects is
that this gives us object based polymorphism rather than class based
polymorphism. Because they are Haskell closures rather than C-style
functions
they can hold private state by using partial application.

configParser :: ConfigParser
configParser = ConfigParser {
    read input = ...
    getFoo = ...