Did you come to Haskell from Python? was Re: [Haskell-cafe] Are handles garbage-collected?

Shae Matijs Erisson shae at ScannedInAvian.com
Tue Oct 26 15:21:10 EDT 2004

Remi Turk <rturk at science.uva.nl> writes:

> At least one. (Me) And, judging from the amount of references to
> Python in these mailing-lists, I really doubt I'm the only one.

At least two. I also came to Haskell from Python.

> I actually met Haskell mostly by reading about it in the python
> mailinglist/newsgroup. (in e.g. Alex Martelli's posts)

I met Haskell because I started writing all of my Python code with a single
return point, was overusing reduce and map, building function pipelines, and
finally someone asked me if I'd used Haskell before.

>>   Haskell is beautiful on the outside and the inside.  :-)

Yes, Haskell is beautiful inside and outside. That's something that has kept me
interested in it for years. 'Conceptually pure' is what I call it.
--
Shae Matijs Erisson - Programmer - http://www.ScannedInAvian.org/
"I will, as we say in rock 'n' roll, run until the wheels come off,