[Haskell-cafe] Re: exitFailure under forkProcess

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Tue Oct 26 21:02:52 EDT 2004

On 2004-10-26, Peter Simons <simons at cryp.to> wrote:
> just to avoid any possible confusion: I emailed my reply to
> you and posted it to the list as well, but unfortunately I
> hit the wrong button so that my mail to you doesn't _say_
> that it is a carbon copy. Sorry about the mess.

OK, thanks.

> By the way: It's good to know I'm not the only one wrestling
> with Haskell's concurrency code. :-)

Yes.  Its POSIX interface is, uhm, weird.  I can't quite put my finger
on it, but things like setting up a pipe to a child process's stdin just
seem brittle and fragile with all sorts of weird errors.  I can do this
in my sleep in C, Perl, or Python but in Haskell I can barely make it
work when I'm fully conscious :-)

Oh also, I would very much appreciate Haskell interfaces to realpath()
and readlink().  And a system/rawSystem that returns the waitpid() exit
status like system(3) does, not just the exit code.  (What happens if
the process died because of a signal?)

-- John