[Haskell-cafe] Set of reals...?

Keean Schupke k.schupke at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Oct 28 06:09:36 EDT 2004

Subsets can be done like this:

myInterval = Interval {
   isin = \n -> case n of
      r  | r == 0.3 -> True
         | r > 0.6 && r < 1.0 -> True
         | otherwise -> False,
   rangein = \(s,e) -> case (s,e) of
      (i,j) | i==0.3 && j==0.3 -> True
            | i>=0.6 && j<=1.0 -> True
            | otherwise -> False,
   subset = \s -> rangein s (0.3,0.3) && rangein s (0.6,1.0)
   }

The problem now is how to calculate the union of two sets... you cannot
efficiently union the two rangein functions of two sets. Its starting to
look
like you need to use a data representation to allow all the
functionality you
require. Something like a list of pairs:

    [(0.3,0.3),(0.6,1.0)]

where each pair is the beginning and end of a range (or the same)... If you
build your functions to order the components, then you may want to protect
things with a type:

    newtype Interval = Interval [(Double,Double)]

isin then becomes:

    contains :: Interval -> Double -> Bool
    contains (Interval ((i,j):rs)) n
       | i<=n && n<=j = True
       | otherwise = contains (Interval rs) n
    contains _ _ = False

    union :: Interval -> Interval -> Interval
    union (Interval i0) (Interval i1) = Interval (union' i0 i1)

    union' :: [(Double,Double)] -> [(Double,Double)] -> [(Double,Double)]
    union' i0@((s0,e0):r0) i1@((s1,e1):r1)
       | e0<e1 = (s0,e0):union' r0 i1 -- not overlapping
       | e1<e0 = (s1,e1):union' i0 r1
       | s0<s1 && e0>e1 = (s0,e0):union' i0 i1 -- complete overlap
       | s1<s0 && e1>e0 = (s1,e1):union' i0 i1
       | s1<s0 && e0>e1 = (s1,e0):union' i0 i1 -- partial overlap
       | s0<s1 && e1>e0 = (s0,e1):union' i0 i1
       | otherwise = union' i0 i1

And subset can be defined similarly...

    Keean.