[Haskell-cafe] Installing HaXML,(using Hugs and WindowsXP)

Graham Klyne GK at ninebynine.org
Tue Sep 7 13:58:04 EDT 2004

At 22:29 23/08/04 +0100, Tom Spencer wrote:

>Has anyone successfully installed HaXML to be used with winhugs in XP.
>Using the build.bat included with HaXML it seems that it can only be
>installed for GHC.

Er, yes.  (I did the original version of that batch file, which was pretty
primitive, and only intended for GHC.)  For use with Hugs, I just copy the
files into an appropriate directory and make sure Hugs can see that directory:

Here's an example of a batch file I use to run Hugs (not WinHugs, but a
similar idea should work, I think) with access to the HaXml code:

[[
rem Use Hugs version compiled with Unicode support

set HUGS=C:\DEV\Hugs98\hugs-20040109.exe
set LIBS=D:\Cvs\DEV\HaskellUtils\HaXml-1.12\src

%HUGS% -P"%LIBS%;" %1

PAUSE
]]

Ah, looking at that, I recall that HaXml needs Unicode support (or maybe
it's just my modified version of HaXml), which isn't standard in the
Nov-2003 release of Hugs for Windows.  I've built versions of Hugs and
RunHugs (but unfortunately not WinHugs) with Unicode support (you also need
to use a later prelude.hs file), available via:
   http://www.ninebynine.org/Software/FatHugs.html

(I think that's the right URI;  I can't get to the server right now to
confirm what's actually there.)

#g