[Haskell-cafe] Writing binary files?

Ketil Malde ketil+haskell at ii.uib.no
Mon Sep 13 03:04:01 EDT 2004

Glynn Clements <glynn.clements at virgin.net> writes:

> Right now, the attempt at providing I18N "for free", by defining Char
> to mean Unicode, has essentially backfired, IMHO. Anything that isn't
> ISO-8859-1 just doesn't work for the most part, and anyone who wants

Basically, I'm inclined to agree with what you say.  A minor point is
that the other ISO-8859 encodings (or really, any single-byte
encoding) works equally well, as long as you don't want to mix them.
So I guess you really want to say "Anything that isn't a single-byte
encoding..."

(Except for string constants, I guess, but perhaps you could just use
its byte representation in the source?  The length could be slightly
surprising, though.)

-kzm