[Haskell-cafe] Re: Writing binary files?

MR K P SCHUPKE k.schupke at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Sep 16 07:37:32 EDT 2004

>In the general case, it needs to be a bit more complex than that,

Thats why the functions handled lists not individual characters,
I was assuming that each [Word8] -> [Char] represented a valid
and complete encoding block... IE at the start of each call it
assumes no escapes. All this means is than when reading in chunks
you paste those chunks together before conversion, and you can
only break outside of escapes. This in my opinion is better
behaviour anyway... I don't want some hidden escape state mangling
output, just because some earler code generated invalid output.

Keean.