[Haskell-cafe] GHC and OS X (10.4) [SOLVED]

Tom Davie tom.davie at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 18:38:22 EDT 2004

Thanks to a lot of help from Gregory Wright, it is now possible to
install ghc 6.2.1 on Tiger - it takes quite a bit of fiddling before
it will work, but there is a way.  The package available at
Haskell.org will not work, however the darwin ports version will given
that gcc 3.1 is installed on the system - this however is not the
easiest thing in the world to make work.  You can however get it
installed by downloading XCode 1.5 from apple developer connection,
going into the packages directory on that disk image, moving the
gcc3.1 package onto your hard disk and editing it's contents slightly.
Do show package contents on the installer, and go into
Contents/Resources, then edit VolumeCheck with your favourite text
editor, edit line 28 to say
 if (CheckVersion("$SYSTEM_VERS", "10.5", "ProductVersion", ">=")) {
The package should now install happily on tiger, you can then use port
install ghc to install ghc and it's dependancies.

Hope this helps anyone digging in the archives for a solution.

Tom Davie